Sunday, November 16, 2008

"Thai" pumpkin custard


So, most Thai restaurants at which I've eaten in NYC have some version of a pumpkin custard on the menu, and there are a TON of "Thai pumpkin custard recipes" on the internet. My good friend and roommate, V. says that this is clearly one of those made-up American things, like French fries or chop sooey. Never the less! I have made my own Thai pumpkin custard! Both of my loyal readers know that this is in large part because my sweetheart adores all things pumpkin. This custard is quite delicious, even if it's not authentic--whatever that means. And, as you can see from the attached photo, it's a nice-looking dish, too. You can also see the lovely color of our new living room: Benjamin Moore's 'Pumpkin Pie.' It's spot on, right?

1 smallish pumpkin (but bigger than the one in my picture by a little bit)
9 eggs
1 1/2 C. Coconut milk from a can
2 C. Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cut a hat out of your pumpkin, and then scrape and spoon the guts out as though you were going to make a jack o'lantern. I toasted my seeds with salt, and they were quite delicious. Set this all aside while you make the custard.

The Custard:
Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Using a fork or whisk, beat by hand until fluffy (1 minute). Add the coconut milk, vanilla, and half the sugar. Beat again for 1 minute, or until well mixed. Add the rest of the sugar, stirring to dissolve it in the egg mixture.

Pour the custard into the pumpkin until it is within a half inch of the top. Set the custard-filled pumpkin in a shallow baking dish or a roasting pan and pour water into the pan until it comes up to about 1/2 an inch on the pumpkin. Put this all into the oven and bake for 90 minutes. The custard will rise as it cooks, but don't worry, it will sink back into the pumpkin when you cool it. It's possible that the custard won't have completely set in 90 minutes, so you may need to leave it in for another 15 to 30 minutes. You can roast your pumpkin's little lid, too, but not for 90 minutes--take it out after 45 minutes or so, so it doesn't burn up completely.

Allow the custard to cool on the counter for 30 minutes at least before taking it out of the hot water. Custards are served room temp or cool--I refrigerated mine overnight before slicing it like a cake.

This didn't happen to me, but apparently if your custard doesn't set properly, it's a BIG mess when you slice the pumpkin open. Good luck! And invite me over for some, I LOVE this stuff!

4 comments:

talida said...

Awesome! I made the same thing and just posted about it. And I love all your recipes too! I'll definitely be checking back for more :)

Amazing Grass said...

What do you mean "made up American things"? I'm Asian and this is definitely part of authentic Thai cuisine! I love this dessert and have tried making it twice, both times not the most successful.

This pumpkin custard thing would taste better (according to an Asian palate) if you used palm sugar. Can you get pandan leaves where you stay? I'm not sure how it'll taste and I'm going to try - I think it'll be worth it to try replacing the vanilla with pandan leaves, because that's what we usually use in making Asian desserts over here.

ToCCi said...

To be fair, it's authentic enough.
Though we do use palm sugar and pandan leaves here, I think sugar or vanilla should be fine.

Besides, Sankhaya is introduced here by the Portuguese traders in Ayuddhaya period, I'm sure the use of palm sugar and pandan leaves is Thai's adaptation. So, I don't think it's so Thai and can't be adapted at all.

M said...

Oh heavens! I have real comments from people who aren't my girlfriend or one of my other two know readers! I'm glad to hear that you all think it is not a made-up American thing. I have palm sugar! I can easily make that substitution! I can get pandan leaves in C-town, but have never cooked with them before...it's not the same as pouring in some vanilla, is it?