Friday, November 7, 2008

No more pancake mix

A. and I have been trying--in difficult economic times no less--to buy more local food and avoid processed foods. One thing that A. really prefers, though, is pancakes from a mix. She likes Arrowhead Mills brand a lot, and we also get the Cracker Barrel pancake whenever we take a road trip out of the city. I don't want to be too optimistic about this, but I think I've finally found the recipe that will break the pancake mix habit. I present it here:

1 C. Flour I'm thinking about using whole wheat flour one of these days)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1-2 T. sugar
1 egg slightly beaten
1 1/2 C. butter milk

Mix your dry ingredients, then mix your wet ingredients. Pour the wets into the dries. Stir until mixed and not too lumpy. My friend Angela tells me that you shouldn't over mix cakes because it causes the glutens to fall apart, and then you get not-so-fluffy cake. Maybe that's true for pancakes, too? At any rate, don't over-mix, but you don't want lumps.

This recipes makes enough pancakes for me and A. I like my pancakes about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter, and she likes hers about 4 to 5 inches. I make some of both sizes.

No comments: