Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tiramisu

When my lady requested tiramisu for her birthday cake, I was a little panicked. I had NO IDEA what went into tiramisu or what the method was. It turns out that it's pretty easy, and my girlfriend was super-impressed by my practice efforts. There's an excellent website already in place to tell you all about it: Heavenly Tiramisu. I used the recipe called "Better Safe Than Sorry," because I don't want to accidentally poison anyone with salmonella.

I followed their recipe almost to the T--I just changed the two cheeses to mascarpone, and I had to use cream in my yolk mixture because I didn't have any milk:

Ingredients

8 egg yolks
1 C. Sugar
1/4 C. Milk
2 C. Whipping Cream
16 Oz. Mascarpone Cheese
3 - 4 C. Hazelnut Coffee, brewed and cooled
3/4 C. Amaretto
50 or more Lady Fingers
2 squares Bittersweet Baker's Chocolate, chopped finely
A sprinkle of Cinnamon

Method
  1. Whisk egg yolks, half the sugar, and the milk in a 2-quart saucepan until smooth and blended.
  2. Heat to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
  3. Refrigerate and cool.
  4. Whip the whipping cream to very stiff peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator.
  5. Mix the cheese and remaining ½ cup of sugar together.
  6. Stir in the yolk mixture.
  7. Then fold in the whipping cream.
  8. Combine the coffee and Amaretto in a large mixing bowl.
  9. Quickly dip each ladyfinger in the coffee mixture and place on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
  10. Sprinkle with half the chocolate.
  11. Cover with half of the cheese mixture.
  12. Add another layer of dipped ladyfingers.
  13. Sprinkle with chocolate and finish with the cheese mixture.
  14. Sprinkle cinnamon over the top and garnish with coarsely grated chocolate.
  15. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor.

No comments: